Monday, September 3, 2007

Camping - part 2

It's never as simple as you think it's going to be, is it?

We got to Moab about 9:15 pm and set up camp. Felix didn't sleep very well and was quite fussy on Saturday morning so Brent went with the group to see a bunch of arches while I stayed with Felix. In the afternoon Brent and I traded places.

We took a guided tour of the Feiry Furnace (named for the view at sunset), but after about 30 minutes I realized that my ankles were not up for the challenge and I was not used to any kind of hiking (meaning I was gasping for breath every couple of minutes), so my friend Erin generously offered to hike back to the beginning with me.

Saturday evening we all went out to eat and then went home and went to bed.

Sunday we took our time getting up. Most of the group went in to town to shower and go to church. Brent and Felix and I stayed, watched a couple of conference talks on his laptop, went down to the river to cool off, and just hung out. When people got back from church we just relaxed the rest of the day. We realized that somewhere along the day poor Felix had gotten sunburned and as the day progressed it looked worse and worse.

This morning we were thinking of going to Delicate Arch, which is the most famous of the arches - the one that appears on the Utah license plate, but when it came down to it we decided to just come home. We finally left the campsite and all our new friends about 9 this morning.

We got to Erin's house about 1 and I took Felix in the house to cool off while Brent loaded our car. We said goodbye to Erin and as I was walking around the car to put Felix in, I stepped off the driveway onto the grass. Unfortunately, the grass there is deceptive and covers a hole. My ankle twisted all over the place as I fell and I dropped the carseat (only about 6 inches, thankfully).

I had to writhe around on the ground for a few minutes and just sob in pain before I could finally crawl to the car and get in. I cried all the way home, where my dad offered to drive me to the hospital. So I crawled to his car and he took me to the emergency room.

Turns out I actually chipped a bone in my ankle this time. It's by far the worst sprain I've ever had, and this was on an already weak ankle. I'm not happy, but as long as I'm not moving it's bearable.

I feel like a horrible mother - letting my infant burn because it's his first real sun exposure, and now I can't even do much with him because I can't move.

Brent is such a fantastic husband and father. Seriously, it's times of injury that it's the most obvious, but he's awesome.

Here are some pics from the trip. You can tell that Felix's face has started to swell...


Daisy Paige said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your ankle and Felix's sunburn, but it looks like you had fun, regardless. I hope you both recover quickly!

Krispy said...

Owie! Sorry about your ankle - what a bummer!