Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Sicko

I'm not sure what Felix gave me, but I sure got it. Some kind of stomach bug that kept me away from Amelia all day yesterday.

Let me explain that I almost NEVER get this kind of sick. I get colds quite regularly and sometimes even get them quite severely. But stomach bugs thankfully stay away. And even when I do get a bug, it's pretty mild. Not this time.

I think it's been probably 10+ years since I had thrown up last. Well, I did throw up once when I was pregnant with Felix, but that's different. I'm talking about throwing up violently because of sickness. Brent throws up far more regularly than I do. Thankfully, this hasn't touched him yet. I'm hoping he escapes without getting it at all because it's miserable.

Because I was feeling so terrible, I ended up just pumping at the hospital and sending Brent to feed Amelia. I want a parent there as much as possible. Thank goodness I'm feeling tons better today. I should probably wait for an update from the doctors before saying anything (don't want to jinx myself!), but as of yesterday, her last bad apnea episode was on Saturday. She did have a couple mild episodes since then but always pulled out on her own very quickly. Kari said this means she's growing out of it. Yay!

Also, because she's progressing with the apnea, we need to make sure she can get enough food on her own (no tubes, no supplements through an IV). So we've upped her feedings to every 3 hours to try to get her used to it. We want to bring home a chubby baby...

2 comments:

Jenny and Jared said...

Heather, she's beautiful! Congratulations. I just found out about her birth today, I'm glad to hear that she's doing better. I'm all for chubby babies. I can understand your frustration with the lack of information that the doctors and nurses gave you. I have also found that in general they'll not tell you anything because they either think you're too dumb to understand it or too fragile and they don't want to scare you. Stupid Establishment. Hang in there, you're a smarty and she's gorgeous.

Bethany said...

Heather, I can't tell you how sorry I am to hear about all the stuff you're dealing with!

She sure is a beauty, though, and I'm so excited for you to be able to bring her home soon.

Big hugs!