Wednesday, March 11, 2009

more complicated

Brent and I have discovered that one of the most significant changes from one child to two is that sicknesses are insanely more difficult. There is essentially no relief because both parents are now needed full-time.

Amelia started getting snorty last week. They cost very little, but those little blue booger suckers are invaluable. I would also recommend saline. It loosens everything. Yeah, I'm sure you didn't want to know that, but if you have kids, you probably already do. If you don't, look into it. It's really that good.

Felix and I got the cold full force on Saturday. Lots and lots of head congestion. By Monday morning my congestion was firmly settled into my lungs and Felix started running a fever. On Monday Felix couldn't keep anything down. He did keep stuff down for long enough that he didn't get dehydrated. And he seemed to pull out of it in the evening - at least for a little bit.

Tuesday was worse for me but better for Felix. I mean, I've felt rotten since Saturday, but Tuesday was my first down day because Felix seemed to be over the hump. Still coughing a lot, but running around and pretty cheerful.

It was not to last, however. He's running a fever again and seems miserable. Although he fell asleep about 9:15, he's been tossing and turning and crying since then. And since I can't sleep through that kind of thing, I'm up with him.

So here we are past 1 am on Wednesday. My headache has subsided, thanks to a whole lot of ibuprofen, and Felix is down for the moment. I'm afraid tomorrow is going to be tough, since Amelia didn't go down till about half an hour ago, meaning that Brent is just winding down now. I'm starting to wonder if she's got a touch of what Felix has. I hate having sick children simply for the fact that I feel so helpless to comfort them.

2 comments:

nora.lakehurst said...

I am so sorry to hear that about your kids. Sick kids are the worst. They just passed a thing in schools this past year. That No children unless seen and has a note from the DR cannot miss more than 5 days in a semester. So I pay a 25.00 excuse note so my child can stay home and get better. What a crock. Anyways get better and you just baby yourself. When the kids are down go take a hot long bath.

Dirtius Wifius said...

Yet another reason I hate public education...

I think I got maybe 3 hours of sleep. We'll see if I get any kind of a nap. I'm guessing probably not. But at least Felix is acting like he feels better. Still cranky, but definitely better.