Saturday, August 18, 2007

Crafty adventure

This afternoon I did something I had always wanted to do - tie dying. And I did it with 7 kids. Truth is that some of the shirts we did turned out really cute, but not necessarily the ones I thought would be so cute. Funny how your best intentions can have little bearing on outcome sometimes.

My hands are gray. I spent about an hour rinsing out shirts tonight and they're all in the wash right now. I really hope the color sticks to the shirts because it would be a shame to color myself and not the items we prepared for that purpose.

I'm already looking forward to the next time, which will be on Monday with some other nieces and nephews.

I bought two Tulip brand kits - one with 5 colors and one with 3 colors. I also bought a thing of soda ash (all the info on the web said to soak the items in that first so the color will stick better), a box of 50 latex gloves, and a bunch of t-shirts. Wal-Mart may be an evil corporation, but they have great cheap t-shirts.

All in all, I learned how not to dye your hands (gloves at all times!!!!!), how to get some cool designs (I'll post pics over the weekend), and how to entertain some kids. It's not really cost-effective to do it regularly, but it is a great once-per-summer type of thing. You know, get out all your stained light-colored t-shirts and change them into something fun. Maybe I'll take pics of the whole activity on Monday too so you get the whole process.

2 comments:

Laurie said...

Walmart being an evil corporation... that's the kicker, isn't it?? Gah, sometimes that place is so stinkin' handy!

Scott's dad was a business consultant for their corporate offices for awhile and he's got some horrifying stories of what goes on there. He'd probably disown us if he knew that there are times when we needed to shop there to save an incredible amount of money on certain things...

Daisy Paige said...

That sounds like a lot of fun, Heather. Definitely post pictures - I'd love to see your handiwork!