Saturday, June 21, 2008

Two reviews with one post

Brent and I went to see two movies this week. That may seem like a lot, but after being cooped up for a while and a bit on the stressed side, we really needed to get out.

The first movie we saw was The Incredible Hulk. I only sort of tried to watch the first Hulk movie from a couple of years ago and I was so disgustedly bored that I slept through almost all of it. So I can't really compare the two movies except to say that this isn't boring and I like Edward Norton much better than I like Eric Bana in the role.

In this movie, the entire origin story is told in the opening credits, so by the time the movie actually starts the story is in full swing. I liked it. No need to trifle with pesky backgrounds. There was lots of action, lots of CG stuff (all the hulk and monster stuff was CGI), noticeable chemistry between the two leads, a credible bad guy (or two - people with warped priorities, really), hints to the future including a fun cameo from Tony Stark (Iron Man), etc.

Besides the good stuff, Brent thought the CGI was overdone in the closeups. It didn't bother me all that much, but I would have preferred that the Hulk and Bruce looked at least slightly similar. They didn't, but Brent assures me that this is because of fan disapproval from the first movie where they did. I don't remember that, but it really didn't bother me as much as it bothered Brent. I would have preferred that they use an actual person instead of a completely CGI character. They did a good job of making movements feel real, but well, maybe it's just that I liked Lou Ferigno as the Hulk in the original TV show. By the way, he also had a nice cameo. I'm just thinking that they could have gotten one of those huge WWE wrestlers who looked slightly like Ed Norton and paint him green and make him kinda dumb. Well, not that the dumb part would be needed so much. Can't you see it?
Overall, it was fun but flawed. I'd give it 3 out of 5 stars.


Movie #2 was Get Smart.

This is one we'd been looking forward to since we first heard it was being made and that Steve Carrell was in the lead. See, it doesn't matter whether you like him or not, he's perfect in the role. He IS Maxwell Smart. Anne Hathaway is also perfect. Heck, even Duane Johnson (aka The Rock) is great as Agent 23.

This movie is a bit on the absurd side (just like the TV show), but it's so much fun that it just doesn't matter. There are so many quotable lines in this show that I can't wait to see it again and start memorizing. It's clever in its delivery too. There is an almost genius comic timing employed by every single one of the actors and I found myself laughing out loud during the entire movie. It's fast-paced, full of fun action (I would highlight "fun" if I could figure out how to do it on a Mac - the shortcut keys don't work the same as on PCs), has some great chemistry, is very well put together, etc.

I would give this movie 4 1/2 out of 5 stars. Yep, I liked it that much. Just goofy enough to pry someone out of a funk and leave everything behind. I will absolutely own this and watch it over and over.

3 comments:

Jane of Seagull Fountain said...

Great reviews.

We saw Iron Man the other week and loved it, but the previews for IH looked so bleh. I love Edward Norton (LOVED him in The Painted Veil w/ Naomi Watts).

Can't wait to see Get Smart. Steve Carrell is one of my favorites!

Dirtius Wifius said...

I've been interested in The Painted Veil but haven't gotten around to seeing it. I love Iron Man too. I'm even looking forward to a sequel. :)

BeatlesDiva said...

I loved Get Smart! It's one of those movies I could watch over and over again. And how cound you NOT laugh over the Chuck Norris joke.