Thursday, April 23, 2009

Movie Review: Pan's Labyrinth


Brent and I finally got around to watching this. Netflix is awesome, by the way. It starts out with a little girl in 1944 in Spain, so you kind of get the immediate feeling that war is the background. Her mother gets married to some beastly general-type and about 8 months pregnant, they go out to the country to be with him. He says his son should be born where his father is.

This step-father is a cruel piece of work, and since her mother is confined to bedrest, the little girl goes off in the woods, finding a labyrinth.

Does it sound at all familiar? There are definite magical elements to the story, what with this girl's contact with other-worldly creatures, but the story feels familiar. It feels a bit like Spiderwick Chronicles, a little like Secret Garden, and a bunch of other stories. But this really is unique. It's haunting and compelling and it draws you in. It leaves you feeling all sorts of conflicting emotions, but I promise that's a good thing.

Oh, this is the movie that M. Night Shyamalan should have made instead of that disaster Lady in the Water. This is what a made-up fairytale with a dark twist should look like.

Pan's Labyrinth is rated R for some graphic war violence (all at the hands of this general guy - there's not a lot, but it's enough to make you cringe and hate the guy). Also, it's in Spanish. I give it 3 1/2 out of 4 stars. Not for everyone, but a very good show.

2 comments:

nora.lakehurst said...

Rated R..... Just kidding. I bet it was a good movie. I just am not a fan of graphic violence but I will allow my kids actually make my kids watch Schindler list and One other movie but cant remember it. I will also show them "Life is Beautiful" Seth really didnt like that show. He said it was so sad. But it did have a great story and the base line of the story of him making it happy for his son is totally worth it.

Adam and Cassie said...

I loved that movie.