Friday, July 11, 2008

Journey to the Center of the Earth (in 3D)

My niece earned a movie by watching Felix for us a while back and she decided she wanted to watch the new Journey to the Center of the Earth with Brendan Fraser. We went tonight because it was finally out. Now let me say that a movie with Brendan Fraser can hardly be taken seriously. I mean, he was George of the Jungle, for heaven's sake!

But, the preview made it look fun, and we decided to go all out and even see it in 3D.

The story is a bit juvenile. This guy and his nephew head to Iceland because they're sure that there is new data proving the existence of volcanic tubes that lead down to the center of the earth. Or something like that. They hook up with a hot Icelandic mountain guide and together embark on a fantastic adventure.

The movie isn't very long, but it also goes really fast. My niece wanted more, but I thought it was about right. It's totally unbelievable (follows Jules Vern's story of the same name as if it were a real story and not fiction) and silly (dinosaurs and man-eating plants and loch ness monsters and the like), but it's fun.

So, it's a perfect movie for little kids. My niece and I (she's 12) loved it. On the way home we stopped at Wendy's, where they happened to have toys from the movie in their kids' meals. My niece got a viewfinder-type thing shaped like a t-rex skull and I got a glow-in-the-dark finger puppet bird.

It was a good night. I might even consider doing it again with different nieces and nephews. The movie was fun enough that it wouldn't offend me to see it twice. :)

No comments: