Thursday, November 20, 2008

baby news

I'm in the hospital being thoroughly poked and prodded, so although I want to spend time with friends and go see Twilight, there will be no movie for me - likely not till baby shows up. I've been having contractions for a week (mostly the harmless non-progressing kind) but they took a turn on Sunday. I called my midwife on Monday and was put on bedrest till she could check me out yesterday. Then at the appt yesterday she was concerned enough with my symptoms to send me to the hospital.

I'm at the UofU hospital in salt lake and have been miserable. I wonder if the stress of sitting in a super uncomfortable position for hours on end while the lab processed test results (like too much protein in my urine and bad stuff in my liver - can't remember what they called it) made the contractions start for real, but I was having pretty steady contractions (about 5 minutes apart - all in my back - ouch!) for 2 or three hours.

They finally did calm down and now I'm just uncomfortably hooked up to all sorts of tubes and wires. And the ob on today said they're going to move me to a regular room soon so as not to bother me so much. But I will be here overnight again. Yay me!

Oh, I got a shot of steroid to help baby's lungs out for just in case, and I had an ultrasound this morning. They said she looks and sounds great. Big head and short legs, just like her dad. :)

I'll update as I know more. Please keep us in your prayers that baby will be content to hang out for another 3 weeks to get to full term.

Update #1, 11:25 am. I'm moved into my new room, and although I'm more comfortable, it's only because I'm not all hooked up to everything any more. My roommate (that I've heard but haven't seen yet) has been jonesing for a cigarette and that worries me. And she's got the tv going on a channel that annoys me. Of course, most daytime tv bugs.

One of the reasons I was admitted to the hospital was so I could do a 24-hour urine test to monitor proteins and such. But the nurse who started it yesterday forgot to document when that started. So I'm starting over. At least that's without the catheter and without the iv and without the belly bands and without the blood pressure cuff. Right?


Beth said...

I am so sorry things aren't going so well. Just try to relax and not to worry. I know that isn't easy, but we'll keep you in our hearts and prayers.

BeatlesDiva said...

I hope things get better for you. Don't worry about anything but the baby and your's health.

I'm not going to see Twilight either, but I'll go see it with you when you want :-D

Kristin said...

I feel for you Heather. They need to have a "Bucket List" about two moms about to have baby's that want to experience life to the fullest before the baby arrives... Up for sky diving Heather? I bet being in a hospital room with another person can have it's drawbacks. Even more if you have pregnancy hormones running through you.

Jason Randall said...

Hey, when are you being discharged? Give me a call if you need ANYTHING and I'll be there lickity split.

momodafoxes4 said...

I KNEW I should have done a blog check last night!! I was up right by you doing puppet shows!
Well, I hope the wee lassie decides to hang in there another 3 weeks! Let me know if you need anything...